Friday, August 6, 2010
Restaurant Recipe Friday-Numero Uno
A year or so ago, I was actively involved in a mommy meet up group when I lived near Albany. The group was absolutely perfect: Hunter was able to socialize with the other kids while mommy was able to have "big girl" conversations with the other adults. What did we talk about, might you ask?
Whatever is divulged at a mommy group stays at mommy group. ::grin::
While the conversation and kiddo playtime was fabulous, the exchange of ideas, kids projects, crafts, etc was totally priceless. In this case, a large file of recipes that mimic to a tee popular restaurants we all love. Trust me, they are sooooo yummy.
So this is what I want to do.
I want to share them.
Every Friday...or at least once a week. As you may or may not know, I am living with my parents until at least December, so my net connection is a bit shaky AKA (gasp!) dial up! I know. It's archaic. But that's the only option. I'm looking on the bright side, people.
So here's the first of many recipes to come. If you want to keep them, just cut/paste and put them in Microsoft Word (or whatever you use) and print them out. Enjoy!
A&W Chili Dogs
1 Sabrett brand 2 ounce beef frankfurter (7½" long)
1 regular hot dog roll
3 Tablespoons A&W Coney Island Sauce (see recipe below)
1 Tablespoon chopped white onion
1/2 Tablespoon Kraft shredded mild cheddar cheese (optional)
A&W Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce
1 pound ground chuck
1 six ounce can Hunts tomato paste
1 Cup water
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon dried, minced onion
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (heaping)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Making the Chili Dog Sauce:
1. In a 2 qt. saucepan, brown the ground chuck, breaking into very small
pieces. Salt and pepper lightly while cooking. Do not drain the fat.
2. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 30−45 minutes until it
thickens. Stir occasionally.
3. Allow to cool, cover, and refrigerate until "Dog−Time". You'll be
microwaving what you need later.
Cooking your A&W Chili Dog
1. Bring a 2 qt. saucepan of water to a rolling boil.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and add the desired number of
frankfurters to the water. Cover and let sit about 10 minutes.
3. After the franks are done, microwave the chili dog sauce until steaming.
(Only microwave what you need, save the rest) Then microwave each hot dog
roll 10 seconds....just enough to warm.
4. Remove the cooked franks with tongs, and place on the microwaved hot dog
5. Add about 3 Tablespoons of your prepared A&W chili dog sauce, and the
chopped onion. Grated cheddar cheese is optional.